7 Dec 2010

From Invercargill to Auckland – 7th

My journey soon come full circle. Strange feeling. At noon I flew from Invercargill in the very south of the South Island to Auckland in the north, covering a distance of about 1200 km. However, at the moment I am sitting at the side of the window in the Xbase community room in centre Auckland. Writing on the travel blog on my notebook, a latte from Starbucks across the street, Cure in my headphones and I can see people walking along Queens street, wearing summer clothes. Strange. Knowing that Santa Claus literally is round the corner. Today, it’s on day one month since I arrived and spent my first night at Xbase. Seems to be so long ago. I really can’t bow to the inevitable fact that I’ll start my travel back to Sweden on Saturday. No, tomorrow morning I’ll the 360 Discovery ferry to the island of Tiritiri Matangi and stay there until Friday afternoon. It’s an open sanctuary, but you have to book accommodation well ahead, as the bunkhouse only contains 10 beds. I booked already in March to secure a place. It will be interesting to compare Tiritiri with Ulva island, but on the other hand I am not sure one should, as they had have (and still have) complete different opportunities for their conservation work. As I said one month ago, Xbase is a great place to stay at: the Airport bus stops just outside the door, the ferry to Tiritiri Matangi as well as cetacean/seabird boat tours is located 15 minutes walk away and the Railway station ten minutes. So folks, it’s time to get to bed. My adventures is not finished yet;-)

Santa Claus in summer time. Can't believe it's Xmas soon, not here at Xbase.

No comments: